USDA ReConnect Grant
State-of-the-art, fiber internet is coming to five communities in the Black Hills, thanks to two multi-million dollar federal grants and a significant investment from SDN Communications.
See the map below for the approved routes and subscribe to our ReConnect Newsletter to receive updates on the project.
- Underway: Working with the Black Hills National Forest, State of South Dakota, Lawrence and Pennington Counties on the required permits
- 2021 Summer or Fall: Begin fiber construction when the necessary permits are approved
- Completion Goal: End of 2023
- 2019 ReConnect Grant - USDA's Project Deadline: May 11, 2025
- 2020 ReConnect Grant - USDA's Project Deadline: October 15, 2025
Total Investment: $12.4 million
- $9.3 million - USDA
- $3.1 million - SDN Communications
85 Miles of Fiber
- Average cost: $65,000 per mile
- First-ever broadband towers built on South Dakota U.S. Forest Service land
- Average cost: $250,000 each
Have questions? Email us.
News About ReConnect
USDA Invests $3 Million in High-Speed Broadband with SDN Communications for Black Hills Communities
Black Hills fiber project is hopeful start of something bigger
Prospect of improved connectivity thrills Black Hills residents
USDA Awards $6 Million Grant to SDN for High-Speed Broadband in Rural SD
New grants will improve connectivity in the Black Hills and across S.D.