Department: Network Operations
Interested candidates can use the form below to submit their resume.
If you do not see a confirmation, please contact the email address in the fine print below.
The supervisor of network operations will oversee the day-to-day operations and support of the transport network. This will include supervising the transport operations team working within the network operations center.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
This includes the following and any other duties as assigned.
- Manages the design and daily support activity related to the Transport team
- Perform staff evaluations and reviews
- Leadership, management, training, and mentoring of staff
- Prioritization, scheduling, and project management of technical efforts
- Support of network infrastructure and customer services
- Network platform lifecycle management/evolution planning
- Develop a team ensuring the competence and continuity of qualified staff through the implementation of processes that will help in selection, training and development, appraisal, and motivation techniques
- Maintains a working knowledge of new technologies which may improve operations, and develops recommendations accordingly
- Collaborate with all functional departments to ensure effective operation as well as attainment of profitability and growth objectives
- Establish and develop a network team through ongoing training, coaching and development
- Regular review of reported customer incidents to identify problem areas and chronic issues within the network infrastructure
- Perform call evaluation and participate in the customer service assessment program
- Perform other related duties and special projects as assigned
SKILLS & COMPETENCIES
- Ability to handle infrastructure crises effectively and to deploy timely resolution
- Good working knowledge of TDM, fiber optic networks, and Ethernet/MPLS
- Working knowledge of routing protocols for periodic review of network routing to assure optimum performance (BGP, OSPF, etc.)
- Results-oriented; strong execution skills; timely
- Strong analytical abilities
- Detail orientated
- Ability to develop long-term objectives and strategies
- Strong presentation and written communication skills
- Positive attitude toward and ability to manage change and continuous improvement
Ability to develop new ideas linking business results, best practices and efficiencies
- Motivates others to perform at their best
- Builds cooperative relationships; can negotiate and handle work problems
- Previous experience in a supervisory position desired
- Bachelor's degree (BA) from a four-year college or university or Associates degree (AA) from a 2-year school plus 5+ years of telecom-related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience
- Honest and ethical
- Ability to work with Word, Excel, SharePoint, Visio, PowerPoint, and various software programs
- Customer relations skills
- A passion for an optical network, data networking, internet, and IT technologies
- Communication skills – written, verbal, and presentation
- Detailed understanding of optical networking technology, CPE, processes and practices, and supplier industry
- A sophisticated understanding of operational tools, platforms, and methods
- Knowledge of Internet technologies - IP protocol, routing, switching, network management, security, email, and dedicated access and web solutions
- Experience with project management processes, tools, and the ability to coordinate multiple projects with reproducible results
- Experience in the supplier/product selection process
- Excellent problem-solving abilities.
Supervise a team of technical personnel that perform the engineering and operations functions for the transport network. Position is responsible for the overall direction, coordination, and evaluation of the group. Carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization's policies and applicable laws. Responsibilities include interviewing, hiring, and training employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and resolving problems.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions.
CERTIFICATES & LICENSES
Must possess a clean driver's license and be insurable.
Ability to read, analyze, and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures, or governmental regulations. Ability to write reports, business correspondence, and procedure manuals. Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, clients, customers, and the general public.
Ability to calculate figures and amounts such as discounts, interest, commissions, proportions, percentages, area, circumference, and volume. Ability to apply concepts of basic algebra and geometry.
Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral, or diagram form. Ability to deal with problems involving several concrete variables in standardized situations. Independent judgment, problem-solving and timely decision-making ability.
To perform this job successfully, an individual should have working knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally required to stand; walk; sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; climb or balance; stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl and talk or hear. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds.
BUSINESS CONTINUITY/DISASTER RECOVERY (BCDR)
You are expected to participate in SDN's Business Continuity and Disaster Recovery Program by being knowledgeable about SDN's BCDR Program, actively participate in BCDR drills and exercises, and may be assigned various duties in response to business emergencies (and establishing / executing priorities, responses and recovery activities in the event of a service disruption).
Use this form to submit your application.
SDN will recruit, hire, assign and promote employees on the basis of their qualifications and without regard to race, creed, color, age, sex, religion, national origin, marital status, disability, or other legally protected status. It is also our policy to employ and advance disabled veterans and Vietnam Era veterans.
If you are a qualified individual with a disability or are a disabled veteran and need an accommodation or assistance to apply for one of our positions, you may submit a request by sending an email to email@example.com.